How to Save Energy
Here are some simple, and proven steps we recommend you take to reduce your energy consumption. This will save money and enhance the contribution your new Solar PV system makes.
What are the steps?
- Install low energy light bulbs & turn lights off when leaving a room
- If you are buying new appliances, choose ‘A’ rated energy efficiency products
- Turn off TVs, videos, radios and other appliances when not in use.
- Do not leave equipment and appliances on standby. This can reduce energy usage in the home by up to 15%
- Don’t leave appliances recharging for longer than recommended. This wastes electricity and can shorten battery life.
- Insulate lofts to 27cms depth
- Install cavity wall insulation where appropriate
- Insulate water tanks and pipes
- Lower the temperature regulator by a couple of degrees on your hot water system
- Draught proof internal and external doorways in your home
- Turn down your room thermostats by a couple of degrees
- Fit thermostatic valves to radiators
- Do not leave the fridge door open for longer than is necessary
- Allow hot or warm food to cool before storing in the fridge/freezer
- Defrost your fridge/freezer regularly if not automatic
- If a fridge/freezer is next to a boiler, leave a gap or fit insulation
- Wash or dry with a full load, or use economy settings correctly
- Make sure the dishwasher is full before you turn it on
- Take shorter showers
- Close curtains at night to prevent heat escaping
- Install energy efficient double glazing
And when you’ve installed Solar PV, use the timer on domestic appliances so they use the clean, free electricity during the day rather than using grid-supplied electricity after dark.
Solar PV inspires people to reduce energy consumption through improved efficiency and subtle, behavioural change. Most of our customers cut their grid-supplied electricity consumption by at least half.